August 8, 2009
The July 24th 2009 L.A. Times story about a dog named Cotton whose guardian treated his aggression situation with a medical procedure called “Canine Disarming” (filing down of teeth to help prevent bite damage). She had initially tried some behavior modification, even went to the self-proclaimed Dog Whisperer. But it was the dental procedure that stirred up a lot of controversy, at least according to Craig Nakano, the journalist whose follow-up article in today’s L.A. Times Home and Garden section has stated.
- They still love Cotton.
- The family probably felt this was their last resort.
- They wanted to protect the public at all costs.
- They didn’t want to unload Cotton’s issues onto anyone else – which seems to be more the norm in our society, and I commend them for that. (I received three emails alone this week of people looking to get rid of their dogs because they didn’t want to deal with them any longer…including one situation where one person in the household wanted for the dog to sleep outside, and the other said inside, so instead they’re going to re-home the dog! UGH, but that’s a whole different post…)
- Breeding dogs MUST be an actual professional legitimate business. Not breeding out of their backyard just because the dog is cute or they need the money.
- Breeders pay a higher fee for breeding since they are contributing to the increased pet population. What, you don’t think purebred dogs get dumped at shelters? HA!
- Breeder and dog guardians MUST BE required to socialize dogs properly to our human environment so they can adapt more easily and reduce the risk of developing aggressive tendencies in the first place!!!
- Dog guardians MUST BE required to enroll their young dogs into dog training classes that adhere to humane methods of teaching. And, they must continue their dogs education (and their own, right?) with dog training classes, workshops, sports like agility or Rally-O so everyone can keep up their skills – especially their socialization skills.
- And finally, if I may so bold: mandatory spay/neuter… Ruh-roh, more controversy!