For the past month or so this Ventura dog trainer has been spending more time training her own dog Poncho to “run” while on leash, versus sniffing/marking/shuffling along… I know he is a dog, and dogs enjoy doing those things. I would never ever want to deny Poncho his normal doggy-like behaviors, but I also want him to get some exercise – outside of the yard – that doesn’t involve fetching his toys and going nuts when the mail-truck comes by…(yep, that behavior is a tough one, and another post…)
- Reward what I want: in this case, it’s “running” next to me.
- “Click and treat” for “running” motion.
- Feed for position: provide the reward with him still next to me, not falling back behind me or crossing in front of me.
- Use high value rewards: chicken, leftover grilled sirloin. Only when he’s in running mode.
- Use kibble for walking but moving forward…
- Allow sniff breaks here and there (so I can rest)…