As a positive reinforcement, reward-based certified professional Ventura dog trainer, I am always looking for a “Good Dog!” moment – not just for my own dog Poncho the dog, but for all dogs… It just pains me when I witness dog guardians looking at their dogs any other way. Maybe it’s all in how you look at it. I’m not sure of the kind of relationship they have with their dog.
- Only call your dog for something pleasant, otherwise, just go get your dog.
- Use your happy voice and body language to get them to want to come running.
- Only call them when you know you’re going to get them to come. Otherwise you’re just wasting your breath, and probably getting more frustrated.
- If you thought you were going to “get it” and didn’t. Go get your dog, take them to where you called them from, and reward them.
- Throw a party – if you called them and they came running!