As many of you know, this dog lover and certified professional dog trainer is a huge supporter of all things animal rescue. However, I know that many folks, even some of my great inquisitive canine students prefer purebred dogs and would rather buy their four-legged friend from a breeder rather than adopt from a rescue or shelter. Check out the photo – there are mutts, mixed breeds from shelters, from private rescues, and top dollar dogs from breeders….can you tell the difference? I didn’t think so…unless you know them personally.
- Make the dogs welfare their top priority.
- Produce healthy, well-socialized puppies.
- Consider physical health and the mental well-being of the animal.
- Are aware of overall health issues, temperament and genetic screening.
- Examine the home of which the puppy will be placed.
- ABide by the federal Animal Welfare Act, including state and local regulations.