Intro to K9 Nose Work® (6 week course)
Currently, this class is full. If you’d like to be added to our waitlist, please contact us directly.
This 6-week Intro to K9 Nose Work® class introduces the concept of the game, builds handler observation skills, and timing, and gets the dogs focused. We start K9 Nose Work classes with food (or a toy), rather than a specific odor. That way when odor is introduced, the dog’s desire to play the game is very strong and the handler has established good teamwork with the dog.
This class focuses on:
- Building foundational skills to help the handler read the dog
- Building the dog’s intensity for the hunting game and building drive
- Sharpening the handler’s skills
Day/Dates*: Saturdays, April 15, 22, May 6, 20, June 3, 10. (*Dates subject to change. Students will be given ample notice.)
Time: 3:00 PM – 4:30 PM
Location: Classes will be held in Santa Barbara at a private location. Address will be provided after registration is complete.
Prerequisites: The only “prerequisites” are that your dog needs to be comfortable around human strangers and being left alone in your car or a crate. (Only one dog is allowed on the course at a time, while all the other dogs are sequestered.) If your dog is not comfortable left alone, you are welcome to bring another human (18 years or older) along to act as their “dog nanny.”
K9 Nose Work® Course Policies*
COVID-19 Policies for In-Person Dog Training:
Our priority – as it has always been- is keeping people and dogs safe. The Inquisitive Canine follows current Santa Barbara Public Health recommendations regarding COVID-19. Rescheduling is necessary if either party is ill or has been in contact with someone who has contracted COVID. Students who want to attend need to be vaccinated. Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns regarding our ongoing dedication to keeping you and your families safe, today and always. Thank you for your cooperation.
Classes are paid-in-full at the time of registration.
Cancelation of class must be requested one week or more before start date of first class. A refund minus $15.00 service fee will issued if cancelled within the mentioned timeframe. After that, no refunds will be issued. No refunds for no-shows. No make-up classes will be offered. Students are welcome to send another person to work with their dog as long as that person signs a waiver and is acting as the dog’s caregiver.
- Age — for dogs 6 months or older.
- Dress code- Flat collar with ID tag, current license (a photo is fine), harness (optional). NO choke, prong, or electronic collars.
- Vaccinations, including rabies (that’s the only legally required vaccination in Santa Barbara County) and flea/tick, and heartworm prevention.
- Your inquisitive canine needs to be comfortable around human strangers and being left alone in your car or a crate.
- For dogs of all abilities, sizes, breeds, and skill level. (Prior obedience training is not required!)
- Maximum number of dogs/class: 6
*Additional Inquisitive Canine class policies can be found here.